If you are a woman wanting to start a family, whether through natural means or IVF, I would recommend weekly treatments over a 3 month period so that we can chart your progress over 3 cycles. If you are about to commence IVF treatment, acupuncture can still be beneficial throughout the process as it helps to reduce stress and re-balances the body to better cope with side effects of medication. A British Medical Journal report suggests that acupuncture can be very effective at improving IVF outcomes.
If you are a man wanting to start a family acupuncture can help with any of the factors mentioned above. However it is also very important in lowering stress and re-balancing the constitution. Treating both partners can make a big difference to the chances of successful conception.
It is advisable for both future parents to prepare for conception, ideally 4 months beforehand. Here are some of the things you can do, in addition to having acupuncture, to encourage fertility:
- Come off the contraceptive pill some time before you start trying for a child. Some sources recommend allowing one month off for each year that you have been on the pill.
- Stop smoking – smoking can cause irreversible effects on ovarian function, increases the risk of miscarriage, significantly reduces the chances of a successful IVF outcome and lowers male fertility. Passive smoking is also damaging to female fertility.
- Significantly reduce alcohol intake; it inhibits ovulation and impairs the sperm’s ability to move through the fallopian tubes.
- Cut out marijuana; it has a toxic effect on the developing egg and impairs ovulation.
- Eat a healthy well balanced diet which includes Vitamins E, B plus folic acid. For more nutritional information contact one of our Nutritional Therapists
- Get yourself to a healthy weight
If you are considering starting a family give yourself the best start by booking acupuncture with Jackie Graham.
Sources: Reuter’s Health: Fertility and Sterility 2002; British Acupuncture Council.