New Year: Letting go of high expectations
· Promise yourself this: That you are not going to make any resolutions. New year tends to put us under pressure to achieve new goals which usually are unrealistic however good our intentions are. This sets you up for disappointment. Have you noticed that people join a gym in January and give up February? Think about that.
· Promise yourself this: Factor time to rest for reflection. New Year tends to elicit questions about who we are and where we want to be. January is generally the month of the year when most of us are tired and broke and this can feel quite depressing. During this time, practice Self-Compassion - listen to your internal dialogue and how your thoughts make you feel. Remember, be gentle and don’t beat yourself up with a myriad of negativity.
· Promise yourself this: If you decide to venture on a goal or a new idea, be conscious that you are making a choice. Make sure that it’s driven from a place of excitement and passion (in other words, avoid ‘should, must or have to’). And make sure that you are choosing this for yourself and not from expectations from friends, family or even social media.
· Promise yourself this: That you don’t become a walking ‘to do list’. Be prepared to say ‘no’ to certain demands either from yourself or others. And instead of feeling guilty, feel empowered by saying no.
· Remember: You are a Human Being and not a Human Doing!
Comments powered by Disqus