What is Deep Tissue Massage?
Deep Tissue Massage uses firm pressure and concentrates on areas of tension and pain. Deep tissue massage especially benefits the release of chronic muscle tension and is effective in injury rehabilitation.
Read more about what and how we treat on our blog
- Where does therapeutic massage fit in a long-term program of health improvement?
- How a regular massage can help maintain health-related goals
- Use massage therapy to fight off the negative effects that cold weather brings
- Should Doctors prescribe gentle massage to augment more traditional hospital treatments?
- The benefits of massage for Stress
- How Massage can support the Immune System
Deep Tissue Massage Benefits
- Pain relief. Deep tissue massage can help by releasing tension in muscles, tendons and ligaments
- Joint mobility. Deep tissue massage can help in reducing tension in the muscles that surround and attach to the joints, improving joint mobility and circulation and easing pain
- Injury prevention. Deep tissue massage can help in reducing the likelihood of injuries by relieving chronic tension in the body
- Injury treatment. Deep tissue massage is especially effective in the relief of injuries such as tendonitis, ligament sprains and muscle strains
- Posture improvement by easing muscle tension and joint restriction and helping the body rebalance
- Alleviation of post-exercise soreness – e.g. after a sporting competition or event (triathlon, marathon)
- Breaking-up and elimination of scar tissue inherited from past injuries or surgery
- Stress relief. Deep tissue massage is also effective in conditions aggravated by stress such as asthma, insomnia or most frequently deskwork!
We have selected the exercises we most frequently advise our patients to do and turned them into short video clips.
What our Patients say:
“I have had massages from many different therapists over the years, but 5 gold stars to Jo Thorp. She is the best! Jo has that special gift of being able to tune in and diagnose trouble spots, even…
Lorna Read Read more from Lorna here >
What to expect when you visit Bridge to Health
Read an overview of what to expect when visiting an osteopath here, and about other patients’ success on our testimonials page.
Techniques Used in Deep Tissue Massage
We work specifically on areas that require release. We initially use long deep strokes followed by applied pressure and therapeutic stretching in specific areas to break down adhesions and scar tissue. We may use our hands, fingertips, knuckles, even elbows to effectively release areas of tension. This deeper massage may cause soreness during or after massage. This ought to fade within 24-48 hrs.
Conditions for which we recommend Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is effective in helping reduce pain and discomfort for many conditions, including:
- Chronic pain especially in the case of a clenched jaw, stiff neck, strained or twisted shoulder muscles and lower back pain
- Arthritis and rheumatism including osteoarthritis
- Tennis or golfer’s elbow
- Sports injury