What is Sports Massage?
Sports massage is beneficial to anyone who leads an active lifestyle - all sports practitioners, from professional athletes to people training for a marathon or planning a hike.
The sport massage technique used will be specific to your sport of choice and focus on areas of the body that are overused or stressed by repetitive or aggressive movements.
Read more about what and how we treat on our blog
Sports Massage Techniques
We use a range of techniques in sports massage, amongst which:
- Smooth flowing strokes
- Kneading or wringing
- Slow sustained pressure
- Pressure on trigger points
- Therapeutic stretching
Conditions for which we Recommend Sports Massage
- Pre-event sports massage to help condition your body to an optimal state of fitness
- Post-event sports massage to eliminate metabolic waste (eg lactic acid) and return the body back to a balanced state
- Restorative sports massage to maximise performance during training
- Rehabilitative sports massage to minimise the effect of injury and optimise recovery including the treatment of strains, sprains, tears and inflammation such as tennis elbow, shin splints and frozen shoulder
We have selected the exercises we most frequently advise our patients to do and turned them into short video clips.
What our Patients say:
I started to see Mathieu, the Osteopath, early January for 2-3 sessions. He investigated, understood and solved the issue of numbness in my right thigh, but also corrected some other postural issues by…
What to expect when you visit Bridge to Health
Read an overview of what to expect when visiting an osteopath here, and about other patients’ success on our testimonials page.
Sports Massage Benefits
- Increased flexibility and reduced stiffness and soreness
- Reduction of fatigue and increased speed of recovery
- Endurance improvement
- Increased range of movement
- Decrease of injuries